Yordan vs Villanueva

Daud Yordan will take another shot at a world championship belt and believes he will pull off a win this time.
The 24-year-old Indonesian will fight for the International Boxing Organization’s vacant featherweight title against Lorenzo Villanueva of the Philippines at Singapore’s Marina Bay Sands resort on May 5, 2012.
The bout is on the undercard of World Boxing Association featherweight super champion Chris John’s title defense against Japan’s Shoji Kimura.
After watching Villanueva’s previous fight on tapes, I saw that he’s very aggressive, strong, and he is always in front of you, so  I would be very careful of that,” Yordan said.
The left handed Filipino has knocked out all but one of his opponent in 22 bouts since turning pro in 2007. In his latest bout, last Jan.28, 2012, Villanueva took only one minute and 17 seconds to knock out Mexico’s Diego Ledesma in Cebu, in the Philippines.
“Adding to my concern, that he’s a southpaw,” said Daud, who has a 28-2-0 record. “However, I saw that his power lasted only for 4 rounds. If I could hold him off during those first four rounds, I know I will win the bout.”
Daud said that he is training mostly in hometown of Ketapang, in West Kalimantan, had involved in sparring mostly against lefties.
One of his sparring partners was the world Boxing Organization Asia Pacific super featherweight champion Jose Ocampo, who’s also a southpaw boxer from the Philippines.
“I’ve learned a lot from my sparring partners and hopefully that will give me an advantage against Lorenzo,” Daud said.
He said that he will continue to train in Ketapang until Saturday before travelling to Jakarta for Promotional tour ahead of the scheduled bout in Singapore.
For Daud, it will be his second try at a world championship belt after losing to Chris John in Jakarta last year. He holds the IBO Asia-Pacific featherweight title after knocking out American bower Frankie Archuleta in  Australia in September last year.
“I’m very lucky to have this second opportunity, so I won’t waste my chance. I’ve been working hard for this fight and I will bring the title home to Indonesia,” Daud said
If Daud wins, he’ll be the fourth world champion from the country after Ellyas Pical, Muhammad Rachman and Chris John.
The IBO featherweight title has been open since Jhonny Gonzales of Mexico won the World Boxing Council’s featherweight title.

No comments:

Post a Comment